Wednesday, May 09, 2007

people

On Sunday I was walking to the tram stop to go tango dancing on the wharf near Röda Sten. In Swedish we were dancing on "Ångbåtsbryggan" which means "Ång" = "steam", "båt" = "boat", "bygga" = "pier" or "quay", "n" for definite article => "the steam boat pier". Strangly enough, bryggdans, meaning "quayside dancing", is in that dictionary. Which implies something about the frequency of dancing there? Oh, and American English I never use "quay". To me it's a strange British/Commonwealth thing.

Okay, so I was walking to the tram stop and saw someone from AstraZeneca. Said hello. Earlier today, in Masthugget, I saw someone I knew from tango, biking by. It was directly across from Oceanen, where I go tango dancing, but it wasn't tango dancing night there. After tango dancing (which was in Vasastan) I dropped by my favorite street kitchen and said hello to the guy I know there working behind the counter. Hadn't seen him since I was here in January. I carried the frequent visit stamp card around with me, as a memory. It was fun to drop in late at night, people partying on the streets, and chat with him a bit while getting a late supper.

And sometimes my stomach just yearns for a burger and fries, and they do a pretty good one.

I like that I can walk around town and bump into people I know. That happens surprisingly rarely in Santa Fe, even after 8 years.

And I like that now when people ask "how long are you here this time" I can respond "I have my residency permit, so I'll be here at least a year." Emily, I think it was, asked me yesterday if people have started treating my different now that I actually live here, vs. being just a visitor. I'm not sure. Perhaps. It does feel different. I can make plans for more than a few months ahead.

No comments: