Friday, May 11, 2007

personnummer

I got my personnummer in the mail today, only three days after asking for it. Good efficiency that.

It's the Swedish tax/personal registration number, somewhat like the US Social Security number. Unlike in the US it's a very public number. It's used often. When you move you're supposed to tell the authorities within a week. They'll update your registration, and the change propogates to those who are interested. For example, there's no need to tell the bank your new address because they'll get it from the tax authorities.

My number is 700822-2817. It has internal meaning. Since most people reading this don't read Swedish, I'll translate the high points. "De sex första siffrorna beskriver personens födelsedatum." means "The first six digits denote the person's birthday." Now everyone knows how old I am. "De påföljande tre är ett löpnummer" means "The next three numbers are a serial number" (literally a "run number"). "där tredje siffran beskriver personens kön – jämn siffra för kvinnor och udda för män." means "the third digit denotes the person's gender – even digit for women and odd for men". Yep, I'm odd. This suggests there were about 140 men registered in Sweden with my birthday.

I was curious about the serial number. The Swedish tax authority's personnummer document says that until 1990 it was assigned serially but now it's generated randomly. Looks like I'm not part of a cohort of 140. The numbers worked out nicely though; 140 on that day * 365 days * 2 genders * 70 years average lifetime gives a population estimate of 7 million, which is close enough given the one sample.

The "-" character means I am under 100 years old, else it would be a "+". The last digit is a checksum digit. ("kontrollsiffra" directly means "control digit".) The algorithm is described in that PDF. It's a simple algorithm using the pattern 2121212. checksum("700822281") = 10-(sum_of_digits(2*7,1*0,2*0,1*8,2*2,1*2,2*8,1*1)%10) = 10-(sum(1,4,0,0,8,4,2,4,8,2)%10) = 10-(33%10) = 10-3 = 7.

Once I got my number, I went to Swedbank to ask about opening an account there. Yesterday I went to two other banks. Swedbank had by far the best service and were the most helpful. They also came recommended by Laura and Jacob. When I went to the other banks I was surprised at the response. In most US banks if you say "I'm going to open a personal account, deposit a chunk of money into it for a down payment on an apartment, I'll need a loan for the rest of the price, and I'll start a business account in a few months" then you'll get to talk to a representative one-on-one, or directed to the main branch where you can get that level of service.

Swedbank was what I expected. I opened a personal account there. Now I need to figure out how to get a wire transfer to it. I know the IBAN but the US isn't part of the IBAN system.

I then went on a tour of Majorna and Masthugget, to get a feel for those areas. Those and Linnéstan are where I'm most likely to find a place to stay. The prices are lower than in Vasastan and I want a 1 bedroom place which is around 60m2 and with a decent enough living room area for a dance party.

I decided that Majorna - which is the cheapest of the places I was considering - was too far from the center, where all the cafes, restaurants, and excitement are. So Linné or Masthugget. There are about 10 viewings in that area next weekend.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Actually Andrew, the serial numbers didn't use to be allocated serially. They were allocated by area, with e.g. 48-53 being the Gothenburg region.... so for people of my age you can tell where we were born from the two first digits.

/Anders

Andrew Dalke said...

I found the list of the area numbers at http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personnummer_i_Sverige . Since my serial number is 2817 that implies I would have been born in Kronobergs län.

The US Social Security Number used to start with a number based on the regional office which assigned the number. Mine starts with a number in the range assigned to Florida. I learned that many years ago and verified it just now at http://www.ssa.gov/employer/stateweb.htm . But that system changed in 1973 to be based on the ZIP/postal code for the applicant. And I don't think I had an SSN when I was that young as until the mid-1980s it was mostly only needed to get a job.

(What changed was the tax law; to declare your children as dependants you had to list their SSNs.)

Sharon Moskowitz said...

But, but . . .

You're not a number, you're a FREE MAN!

(Yes, I have some catching up to do. :)