Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Nyårsaftonfest

Thats "Ny" = "new", "år" = "year", "s" = genitive/possive, "afton" = "afternoon" (here "eve"), "fest" = "party" ==> "New Year's Eve party". Agglutination - fun for the whole family!

I went to Camilla's for New Year's Eve. It was a knytkalas (potluck). I made chile con carne. There was a lot of food. Yum. Different foods than at a US party. More "pies". In this case a"paj" is something more like quiche. In South Africa a "pie" is a savory pastry.

Here's a picture with Camilla in the center.


I know Camilla from tango. She cleared out her bedroom and turned it into a dance floor. I was one of several tango dancers there. It wasn't all tango. We danced salsa for a while, as well as some swing and reggaton. Most weren't pair dancers and they like the reggaton the best. We talked too, and I got to be exciting again about having non-trivial conversations in Swedish. I could even add a few things to other conversations. W00t!

You can buy cool fireworks here and all evening people were setting off their own displays. Around midnight we each got a sparkler and champagne, with an impromtu countdown for midnight. Hugs and kisses for the new year and more talking, dancing, and eating. Mmm, chocolate.

I've been negligent about taking pictures. Even with digital cameras I'm not that much of a picture taker. Maybe if there was one in my phone, and it didn't cost 25 cents to move it some place real like my old Motorola in the US. I figure friends and family want to see what I look like these days with my new Swedish glasses and haircut, my South African dress shirt, and with Swedish people, so I took a few shots.

Here's me with two people. The woman is Maria. It's jättekul (very cool) to dance tango with her. The man is Johan. I've only danced with him a few times. :)



Hmm.. Both with my arms crossed. And yes, Johan is wearing a banana tie.

No comments: