Sunday, December 31, 2006

taught salsa dancing

I taught salsa a couple of weeks ago. Here was the announcement:

"""Andrew will teach the basics of L.A.-style salsa. Also called line-style salsa because of how the dancers change position it has a different feel than Cuban-style salsa. Both styles are danced in Gothenburg.

The timing in salsa is a bit tricky because of the pauses on beats 4 and 8 so the lesson will start with the basic step and following the beat in the music. After that will be the underarm turn and the cross-body lead, along with advice on how the lead works and the reason why it's called "line-style" salsa.

"Cuban motion" adds an extra flare to salsa dancing by making the hips move. Andrew will introduce cuban motion through merengue, another latin dance with a simpler beat than salsa."""


It was 90 minutes of teaching Santa Fe style salsa to a mixture of new beginners and ballroom dancers. Went pretty well. (I use "Santa Fe" style to mean club style, line style, on-1 with a smooth (vs sharp) transition between moves.)

I was nervous at the first. That worked out once I started getting into the teaching. Not much different than other teaching I've done. I would have like to practice before though. When teach programming I have both a lot more experience and often notes about what I'm teaching.

I didn't have the right music. I don't have much salsa music (haven't the room to read from Darin's DVD's) and even the slowest song was too fast to teach. Luckily the club had slower music.

There were a few things I taught out of order. I should have started with an explanation of why it was line style. This was at an engineering school. That did help. I went with a more mechanical explanation of how things worked. Not often I get to say "C2 continuous" - though I know that's wrong. I meant it as a joke. (Really it's more like there's a maximum jerk -- which is the I-kid-you-not scientific term for change in acceleration.)

When I learned to dance several of my teachers talked about "energy" and "grounded" and other things which were hard to interpret. I'm a reductionist; breaking things down and build them back up again. So I tried to teach like that more mechanistic manner.

I mixed teaching styles. I tried to do a bit of the style one of the teachers in South Africa uses, but it's not for me. I mostly stayed with Santiago's style. Even with the circle of women around me. They didn't quite get it, but it was the first time for them.

I teach best as a tutor and not to large groups. What I did was teach and go round to each couple and give pointers. One of the guys was a relative beginner and wanted to do lots of fancy things without having the basics down. After the course, in the open dancing, he wanted me to show him a .. I think it was a CBL inside turn, but that's too simple. Ahh, perhaps I was showing him why he couldn't do a given lead because it was too easily confused with another move, so he wanted to do both.

There are many paths to dance. I personally emphasize the small details first. I think going for the moves makes for bad habits that are hard to break later. It's more than that, I know, and different. Too complicated to explain now.

Hardest was teaching cuban motion. That was the last 10 minutes of the course. I did it with meringue music. Being traditional and all. The thing is, I don't know quite know how to teach it. I remember taking Liz's class focusing on Cuban motion (I do like details) but it was too long ago to remember the details, and I couldn't recall enough from your and Santiago's lessons to teach it.

I also knew it would take a while no matter what so I wasn't worried. I had a lot of lessons focusing on that so instead I only wanted to get across "stepping into a bent leg, which gets straightened" and "shoulders stay still." I prefer dancing with people whose shoulders are not moving up and down.

The ballroom dancers, of course, knew ballroom style Cuban motion. They tried, but habits are habits. Just like I can't do ballroom style motion.

I taught an underarm turn as an arm raise/halo around the head, and emphasized that the lead can start early.
One of the ballroom dancers was having a problem with it because his habit is to do a tick-tock on the lead so he needs to start it later. There too I got to talk about mechanics.

Overall it went well. I got a gift card for two to go to the movies. Anyone want to join me? :)

In the free dancing I tried some waltzing. The first was pretty bad as I tried to remember lessons from earlier this year. It did help having a larger floor than the practice room in Santa Fe. The second try was much better. Still only doing basics and I don't think I attempted the full progression, but enough to fake it.

The woman I danced with is from the local ballroom dance society. She wants me to take lessons from some-teacher-or-other when I'm next here. I'm still of mixed views on ballroom dance (called "standard dance" in Swedish; sorry, "standard dans" in Swedish). It's that poofy formalism. I watched some competitive ballroom dance on the sport channel here. They cover weird sports here. Tall thin guys wearing shirts with the fronts open to the belly button. Not my style.

Plus, there really isn't much chance to dance ballroom socially. OTOH, I do want to reacquire those long missing skills cause you never know when you'll need to dance a Viennese Waltz. More importantly, I want there to be a time in my future when knowing how to a waltz becomes useful.

Though so far that hasn't been the case with my rusting fencing skills. *sigh* Maybe I should practice dancing while wearing a cutlass? Just in case pirates attack during the big ball?

Read a funny joke in Swedish which translates well to English: "Dad? How do you spell 'locomotive'?" "Just like it sounds." "Choo-choo?" See the Language Log entry for the original and details.

No comments: