Saturday, May 20, 2006

jet lag and gaming

Today jet lag hit. It's a bit different than usual. I started coming to Sweden for work. A client of mine is in Mölndal, which is just south of Göteborg. I would leave on Saturday, arrive on Sunday, and work on Monday. At that pace it takes 4 or 5 days until I no longer feel the pushback from my time-tossed body. Yesterday I went to bed at 3am and woke up around 10:30. But around noon I slept again for a few hours. Didn't do much during the day. Unpacked my bags, helped clean up, talked with Bea when she took a break.

I did some more food shopping. I love Swedish bread and butter. Many foreigners don't care for the bread. The bread is sweet by European standards, I'm told. I have a sweet tooth. But the butter. I've tried to find butter in Santa Fe as good as here, with no success. Danyelle, a German salsera living in Santa Fe who is almost always smiling, has the same complaint about the quality of US butter. We don't know the reason for the difference.

Then around 6 or 6:30 I headed over to the House of a Thousand Wows. That's Laura and Jacob's place. It's amazing, and perhaps I'll describe it some time. I and 7 others were over for dinner and gaming, and conversation of course. The game I played - I've forgotten the name - was a 4 player game. The rules weren't that hard but we finished only after some 3+ hours of play. We declared Jacob the winner even though we hadn't technically finished. The problem was the game's complexity wasn't challenging after the first hour or so of play.

Still, it was a fun night. We all left between 1 and 1:30 in the morning. The weather had cleared up a bit so I walked in the cool spring (early summer?) night. It resumed raining about 10 minutes ago.

No comments: