Sunday, May 21, 2006

Chalmers Dance Society

I'm almost back to my normal sleep schedule. That is, go to sleep at 2am or so. It's rather easier to get over jet lag when I don't have to be up to be at my client's site early in the morning.

A few months ago my house in Santa Fe was robbed. Sara's DVDs and player were taken along with some of her jewelry and a camera (or was it the camera media?). The only thing of mine taken was my mobile phone. I had two; this was the one for Europe and South Africa, or any other place with SIM cards. It also had my Swedish SIM card in it. I had a pay-as-you-go card, which means I no longer have that number.

Today I bought a new one. A low-end Nokia along with a starter pack. SEK 699 or just under US$100. I don't like the phone as much as my old Nokia. The flash light was a surprisingly useful item, and the color screens don't do well in even middling strong light so I can't tell if I has messages. I would like to have my own ringtone (MP3), recorded by the mic, but it doesn't seem to support that. I wonder if there's a way to do that...

At 5:30pm Bea and I were at the Chalmers Dance Society event. It started with a short course in ballroom cha-cha and rhumba. The ballroom dances always seem strange to me. I learned club style, or social style. The cuban motion is different, emphasizing the legs instead of the hips, and the poise seems too contrived. That aside, they dance on-2 while I dance cha-cha on-1. I modify my salsa on-1 to work with the cha-cha step.

There were people visiting from another ballroom club in town, with people who compete in national and international tournaments. I danced with a couple of them. One corrected my style in a way that I found pretty annoying. I dance a *different* style, not a *wrong* style. I danced with another but even when I was dancing on-2, the moves I do are different from what she expected so it didn't work out that well.

According to David (who taught the course) and Bea, rhumba is a cha-cha but without the cha-cha-cha part of the step. I ran into that before here in Sweden. I learned a different rhumba style in the US. Mine is based on a box square. It's been a while since I did rhumba though. I only remember a few things. I find myself switching into tango instead.

More of the people there did Argentine tango and not international tango. The tango music though was mostly international, with a strong march tune to it. I'll bring some of my music over next time.

They also did some gamladans (Swedish folk dancing). I still don't have the turns right, but it's not that hard a dance to pick up. I tried to do some waltz but the three lessons I got from Sara before leaving didn't sink in enough. Oh, and for the class I tried hard to keep ballroom poise and position. Including the arms swinging out.