Monday, November 05, 2007

Göteborgs botaniska trädgård

This afternoon I went with Gudrun to Göteborgs botaniska trädgård; "Gothenburg's botanical garden." Very nice place. Despite this being late fall there were still a few flowers out. Stragglers hoping to the see the first snow. I was quite surpised to see a stand of bamboo! I didn't think it could grow this far north. I'll have to go back when things are green and wet. Gudrun mentioned one part of the garden set up so you can hear the water tricking through. There was also a rhododendron section and even a small tunnel through one of the hills.

You want pictures? Try searching on flikr. I had my camera but as I was thinking hard to hold a conversation in Swedish I didn't have much time for other things.

Yesterday I invited friends over for a small Halloween party. Johann and Niklas took pictures, and when I geet copies I'll probably post them. We made jack-o'-lanterns from 3 pumpkins, a squash, and a melon. The green of the last was a nice contrast to the other colors. I also made jambalaya, Niklas brought a cake, and Eva brought candy. After all, what's a Halloween party without candy?

The party alternated between English and Swedish. I am progressing in the language. It would be nice though to have more daily contact with Swedes, to help learn all these little words, like "spatula", "trivet", "toothpick" and "blinds."

1 comment:

Sharon Moskowitz said...

How weird is it to be in a cold place and see exotic hothouse plants that grow in everybody's yard in South Florida? I know that made an impression on me when I visited a botanical garden in St. Petersburg.