Thursday, August 23, 2007

food processor

"Oh my Stars and Stripes!" That was one of my grandmother's strongest expressions, and one that I like to use to express astonishment. "Oh my Blue and Gold" in Swedish? Hmmm..

I'm getting things ready for the party tomorrow. I decided to make apple pies. Doing the crust is traditionally annoying. I think it was Christy, my sister, who pointed out that pastry cutters exist. I had been using two knives. Blah. Well Clarie has a food processor, and I used that to cut the flour and margarine together. Wow! Oh my Stars and Stripes! That was easy.

I also used it a bit to cut in the water but I think next time I do this I'll start with colder margarine and cut in the water by hand. I don't think the result's going to be that flaky for this batch. Maybe I'll make one and see what happens, then make the other.

Why margarine and not shortening? I couldn't find shortening here. Closest was "bakmargarin". I called Emily, a Brit. In the UK she uses suet (rendered beef fat). The US equivalent is lard (rendered pig fat). Both are good for pie crusts. I've never used it though. Emily uses butter instead. Hmm, when I head over to the store in a bit I'll buy some extra butter too, in case the test pie comes out poorly.

Looking on the web, it looks like pie crust making gives the heebie jeebies to a lot of people. Ignorantly sailing into treacherous baking waters, that's me! And treacherous is a hard word to spell.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've always used Crisco. I've heard lard gives a flakier crust. Butter would be my next alternative after Crisco - not margarine. Too much water content in margarine. I have a butter-based recipe at home I can share.

- Christy

Andrew Dalke said...

I noticed that I didn't need to add as much water to the mix as I normally do. Only about 2-3 Tb instead of 5. And from the way it rolled out I don't think it'll be flaky. Haven't done the test pie yet.